Saturday 2 November 2013

Green Pea Soup with Mint

Good morning November. It turns out, the October round-up was pretty popular, perhaps I should use the p-word more often? Or maybe it was the 'b' one...?

Anyway, despite nausea I finally got around to make that soup I was on about last week. Making a soup of green peas, leek and cream had been on my mind for a while. I had an idea of not adding much salt or pepper because I wanted the flavours from the vegetables and cream to really come through. I also added a few new potatoes, for texture rather than taste. And inspired by Joshua Brook's mushy peas, I added a generous amount of dried mint - next time I might try fresh.

Remember I've said before that I am easily pleased but not so easy to impress? Well, that concerns my own cooking more than anything. There are always at least a few things to improve until next time, and I'm not late to point them out. With this dish however, I found myself sitting on the floor shouting out "THIS IS GORGEOUS" before my dinner partner even had time to try it.

I should mention, I wasn't the only one finding it a success. If you imagine the perfect symbiosis of creaminess and freshness, This Is It. Texture, flavours, smell - all of it so smooth and simply amazing.

But enough of the bragging, let's get on with the cooking.























Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 25 min
Serves 2

1 large leek
3 small new potatoes (or one large)
2,5 dl frozen peas
1/2 vegetable stock cube
4 dl water
2 dl cream
20g butter 
1 tbsp dried mint
1/2 tsp each of salt and black pepper

In one pan (or kettle), bring 4 dl of water to the boil, add the stock cube and let it dissolve.
Heat a large sauce pan and add the butter. Chop the leek and potato and place them in the pan together with the peas. Stir for about 2 minutes.
Add the vegetable stock and cream to the pan, and stir.
Finally add the mint, and season with only a tiny amount of salt and black pepper.
Leave to simmer under a lid for 25 min.
Mash the ingredients, stir and serve with wholegrain bread and cheese on the side.

Delicious green pea soup with leek, potato, cream and mint













No comments:

Post a Comment