Tuesday 17 December 2013

My Christmas menu and the tastiest tofu in town

Christmas is getting closer and a few weeks back I had some vague idea about becoming more active on the blog. People have asked me for green Christmas recipes and this would have been a great time to share some ideas.

Unfortunately I am much too tired to put my mind to anything but extremely simple and monotonous food, let alone writing about it. I don't want to just pick any recipes for the sake of it but try them out first and then share them. If they're easy and tasty, they're suitable for my blog, and if not, I simply wouldn't share them.

However, I can tell you what I'm personally going to do this year for Christmas (same as last year) in case I don't get a final energy boost from heaven and urge to try out new stuff.

Remember the Lentils Burgers with Oregano and Cheddar I posted back in October? Last year I made them in meatball-form instead of burgers and that was a success. When you make them a little smaller they get more compressed with flavour so the only thing to keep in mind is to not add too much chili.

Last year's lentil balls in the making
I'm also considering making these Kidney Bean and Walnut Burgers, perhaps also ball-shaped. I'm not sure about it. Just because I'm Swedish and see meatballs as an essential part of the Christmas menu it doesn't mean that the entire plate has to consist of balls so I don't know.

Baking-wise I'm going to make Swedish Gingerbread Biscuits, if my spice arrives on time that is. I've been looking around for dried carnations in Manchester but couldn't find them anywhere. In Holland & Barrett they looked at me as if I was from outer space when asking about it and I realised that I better just ask my mum to send some over from Sweden. She went to the nearest shop in the village and sent them the day after so hopefully they'll be here soon.

Apart from all that I'll be having the usual; sprouts, other veg, beetroots, potatoes, cheese, eggs, and crispbreads. It's my first Christmas in UK so I'm a little bit excited but also a little bit sad thinking about my family (and new nephew!) on the other side of the North Sea. But there is just no chance that I'll board a plane with less than a month until the baby is due.

Out for a walk in wintery Sweden, 2012


Our house, 2011
Other than that not much is going on in life except from sore hips, baby baking, swimming and the occasional cafe visit.

Yesterday I went back to Teatime Collective for a catch-up with a friend and to check out their expanded seating area. The converted container fits around 15 more people and was warm and cosy. Perhaps a little too warm for a woman already on the edge of boiling from various hormones, but that's a different story.



I had a really tasty Ciabatta with 'Steak', Mustard Mayo, Gherkins and Salad (£3), all completely vegan of course. The 'steak' consisted of the tastiest tofu I've ever eaten. Along with gherkins and the hint of mustard it was simply brilliant. Next time I have to try their vegan steak and cheese sandwich.

Toasted ciabatta with vegan steak, mustard mayo, gherkins and salad























Here's their full menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment